Thursday, July 8, 2010

Last Supper

History is full of famous last meals. Elvis Presley supposedly had spaghetti and meatballs followed by four scoops of ice cream before his death. Famed chef Julia Child dined simply on French onion soup and Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh requested two pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream as his last meal before execution in 2001. Perhaps the most famous of last meals is the Passover Seder Jesus Christ shared with the apostles before His crucifixion, known as the Last supper and captured in Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece by the same name.

If I could chose my own last meal I am pretty sure I would chose my Abuela Tamara's ham croquetas and a Coke. For those of you who don't know croquetas are pretty much ham that is pureed, breaded, and fried. One of my best friends, Candice, accurately describes them as delicious ham fried "squishies." My husband, Matt, claims he would chose just about anything smothered in teriyaki sauce and I can claim with just about 100 percent certainty that my father would chose a steak.

Why the morbid obsession with food tonight?

Tomorrow, I will put my life in the hands of a doctor I have met only twice to have diagnostic surgery. Tonight, I may have eaten my last meal (grape salsa chicken tacos for those of you wondering.) While delicious, I still hope to live and eat another day. Life is fragile but my husband reminds me that life is always fragile. Luckily for most of us, we will never know when we are having our last meal. Hopefully, my last meal will be more enjoyable than that of the late King of Pop Michael Jackson's chicken and spinach salad. Here's hoping to living and eating another day. What would your last meal be?

No comments:

Post a Comment